Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. The candy always made me sick, but ever since I was young I’ve loved to dress-up & pretend to be someone or something else for the day. But if you’re anything like me, I always say I’m going to plan my Halloween costume way in advance but never actually do, so I’m stuck putting something together super last minute and expect it to look amazing.
This year, I had it in my head that I needed to wear a wig. I wrote down a few ideas; Cleopatra, Cruella de Vil, Ariel, all of which just weren’t panning out or would be way too expensive. So I thought of things that I already own… and it came to me! A costume that would be fairly easy, inexpensive and recognizable; Sandy from Grease (specifically end-of-movie “bad” Sandy).
As far as costumes go, this is a great one if you don’t have a lot of time because her outfit in the movie is pretty simple but iconic, and it’s also not a costume you see overly done. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Black leather jacket (already owned)
- Black off-the-shoulder top (I purchased this bodysuit from Forever 21, $17.90)
- Black pleather high-waisted pants (mine weren’t pleather, but I already owned these tight high-waisted pants from Zara, which were $40)
- Black belt (already owned)
- Red Shoes (I found this pair on clearance at Trend Shoes for $10, and painted the toe strap red, it was originally brown)
- Blonde curly wig (if you’re not already blonde. This was the biggest challenge – to find a realistic-looking wig. Most halloween stores sell Sandy wigs but they’re really poor quality in my opinion. I purchased mine from a real wig store in Portland called Wigland for $40)
- Optional: Red neck scarf (not pictured), gold hoop earrings and a package of cigarettes.
Make-up for Sandy is also fairly simple. All you need is dark smoky eyeshadow, heavy black eyeliner, fake lashes, pink blush and red lipstick. About 80% of the people who saw me knew exactly who I was on Halloween weekend, which is a pretty good percentage. There’s nothing that annoys me more than when the majority of people have to ask “who are you supposed to be?” at a Halloween party…. such a buzz kill.
Hope everyone’s Halloween was spooktacular!! (lol had to)